If you’re an international student studying abroad in the United States, it can be very confusing to determine what programs and courses you are eligible to take. This guide will help you determine what classes you can register for at BIA if you are on a student visa, tourist visa, and more!

If you’re studying in the United States on an F-1 student visa, you have to attend full-time classes, which are defined at 18 hours per week or more. F-1 students are qualified to enroll in the following programs: Premium ESL 24, Premium ESL 28, Premium ESL 32, Premium TOEFL 32, and TEFL/TESOL. As an F-1 student, you are obligated to meet certain academic and attendance requirements to maintain your visa status. If you’re planning on staying in the U.S. for a while and plan on attending college or university here, you should apply for an F-1 visa!

B-1/B-2, Visa Waiver, or F-2
Students holding these visas can only register for part-time classes at BIA. Our Intensive ESL 20 program is a popular choice for part-time students with a 15 hour per week schedule that gives you an almost identical experience to the full-time students in our Premium ESL 24 program. This is a great option for students who want to learn as much English as possible during their short stay in the United States. If you only want to study for a few hours per week, we also offer Afternoon Electives in three different subject areas: Oral Communication, Business English, and Academic Writing.

E, K, or H Visa
Permanent Residents and U.S. Citizens
If you hold one of the above visas or you’re a Green Card holder or U.S. citizen, you’re eligible to take any of the full-time or part-time programs or courses we have available!

You can stay either on the dormitory or find your own accommodations, renting an aparment, or a best obx rentals, or staying with a relative that live near by.

We’ve made things easy for you with our new online application. If you select your current visa status (or the visa you plan on applying for before you enter the U.S.), you’ll be presented with a list of the programs you are able to register for. If you’re in the United States on a tourist visa and you’d like to get an F-1 student visa to register for full-time classes, we can help you change your status without leaving the country. Just contact us for more information!